LWS Training Services is preparing to re-start face to face first aid training once we have been given further guidance from the HSE and First Aid Quality Partnership. In preparation for the re-start of training, we have produced this policy to reduce the risk of infection from COVID-19.
What is the current situation for first aid provision?
- The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) has stated that employers should review their first aid needs assessment and maintain adequate first aid provision for those continuing to operate in the workplace. The HSE has extended the following qualifications that were due to expire by three months:
- Emergency First Aid at Work (EFAW)
- First Aid at Work (FAW)
- Offshore First Aid (OFA)
- Offshore Medic (OM)
Note: The Department for Education supports the HSE statement regarding the extension of first aid certificates during the coronavirus emergency and that it can be applied to pediatric first aid certificates held by staff in early years provision. This extension came into effect as of 16 March 2020 and all requalifications for these courses are to be completed by 30 September 2020.
For workplaces that are unable to maintain adequate first aid provision, essential face-to-face classroom training may be required. This could include those who work in hospitals, care homes, energy sector, construction, manufacturing, and other front-line services. Other essential training may also be required for key workers to comply with health and safety regulations and safeguarding requirements.
LWS Training Services takes your health and wellbeing seriously and we have produced a specific Risk Assessment to help prevent the spread of COVID-19 along with guidance produced by the HSE on working safely during this outbreak. Shown below are our proposed steps to help reduce the spread of the COVID-19 when providing face-to-face training.
- Delegates must be seated approximately 2 meters apart. This, in addition to the required floor space for practical activities, will determine the maximum class size, therefore, the venue must be assessed and the maximum class size determined prior to organising the course.
- Delegates must be free from any symptoms within the last 14 days and should only attend if they are fit and well. Delegates will be screened for a high temperature on entry using a non-contact thermometer.
- Delegates must not be cohabiting with someone who is self-isolating due to suspected COVID-19.
- Individuals that have booked onto the course but then develop symptoms prior to attending are to inform LWS Training Services as soon as possible so as arrangements can be made to allocate them a place on the next available course once they are fit and healthy again.
- Delegates will be provided with alcohol wipes, hand sanitiser, tissues, face shields, pen, and bandages. Delegates will be encouraged to regularly clean equipment they have handled and sanitise or wash their hands. This will be monitored.
- Delegates will be shown the videos below on how COVID-19 spreads and how to wash your hands:
- Delegates should not touch their mouth, nose, or eyes unless they have just washed or sanitised their hands.
- Long hair must be held back away from the face.
- Delegates should maintain physical distancing throughout the theory elements of the course.
- During practical elements (e.g. Safe Airway Position, Secondary Survey, and assessments) delegates will be provided with gloves and surgical masks which will be disposed of accordingly.
- During CPR demonstration, practice, and assessment:
- Mannequin faces will be sanitised each time by the user. New lungs will be replaced each day for multi-day courses.
- Rescue Breaths remain assessed criteria for all courses.
- Protocols will include the new guidance for COVID-19 CPR from the Resuscitation Council which includes covering the casualties’ mouth to prevent aerosol vapours being spread.
If any delegates display symptoms of COVID-19 within 14 days of the last day of the course they should notify LWS Training Services immediately and self isolate accordingly. This is so that we can contact the remaining delegates on the course as well as any other delegates from subsequent courses who have received training from the same instructor.
LWS Training Services welcomes any comments or amendments to ensure it does not compromise or contradict any policies our customers already have in place. Should you have any questions or suggestions, please do not hesitate to get in touch and this policy will be updated as more information is received.